China Union Branch has announced a while back the development of a smartphone – tablet combo very similar to the ASUS Padfone. The TransPhone is a device that was in the prototype phase at the moment we wrote the article. We are talking about a flat panel display with a dock for a smartphone on its back side. This panel comes with a large screen and it extends the battery life of the handset, when integrated.
Latest info from China is that the TransPhone along with the TransPad are now available for purchase at some very good prices. The devices are available around the Globe with a limited time free shipping offer. The TransPhone has a 3.5″ screen and the TransPad a 7″ screen. Any TransPhone can use several TransPads (and vice versa). Just as you would with the ASUS PadFone, you can transform your TransPhone into a tablet and enjoy the bigger screen for browsing the web and gaming. Some of the key specks for the TransPhone:
- Android 2.3.5, SnapDragon S1, 512MB RAM and ROM, 512MB internal + 32GB Class 10 MicroSD card included
- Multi touch, capacitive, TFT LCD 800 x 480, 16 million color screens
- 114g + 374g = 486g (1lb 2oz) for both
- GSM / GPRS / Edge 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900, 3G:WCDMA 1900/2100 HSDPA
- 5.0 and 0.3 million pixel cameras (autofocus on main)
- Video capture 640 x 480, 30 frames/second
- Bluetooth 2.1, WIFI (IEEE 802.11 n/b/g), personal hotspot, USB data cables
- Portrait / landscape with lock
- Supports: PEG4 / H.26 / 3GP / OGG / H.263 / WMV / RMVB and others, MIDI / MP3 / AAC / WMA and others, ring tones 64 polyphonic support, MP3 / MIDI and others, JPEG / PNG / GIF / BMP and others.
The TransPhone along with a TransPad is priced at $429.99. An additional TransPad will set you back $140 while an aditional TransPhone costs $379. There is also a Family Pack including 2 TransPhones and TransPads + 1 extra TransPad + 1 extra Charger, priced at $999 and a Business Pack (10 TransPhones and TransPads + 5 extra TransPads + 5 extra Chargers) for $4499. You can find extra info and offers by visiting the official webpage.