On April 20 Apple held a big event meant to unveil its latest products, non-iPhone ones of course. The standout new product is definitely the first mini LED iPad, with a 12.9 inch screen, 5G connectivity and an Apple M1 processor. It has quite a variety of configs and prices, which you can find below.
The iPad Pro 12.9 (2021) comes with pretty much the same design as the predecessor, with an aluminium body. The new item here is the Mini-LED screen, which is actually called Liquid Retina XDR, with a 12.9 inch diagonal and the following attributes: it uses less power than OLED, avoids burn-in, has a deeper black, if you can believe it and also a very high contrast. Apple even promises an “extreme dynamic range”. Apple decided to move inside the Apple M1 CPU seen on MacBooks in 2020.
There’s also 128 GB of storage, but also 256 GB, 512 GB or even 1 TB. If you feel the need to spend more, there’s even a beast mode 2 TB 16 GB RAM version. The USB-C port at the bottom has been upgraded and turned into a Thunderbolt, which supports high res external monitors, HDDs, other peripherals and 40 Gbps transfers. Apple has bumped up the front camera to 12 MP, with a TrueDepth mechanism and a special feature created for iPad Videocalls: Center Stage. It uses the wide field of view and machine learning to always keep the user in the center of the frame.
At the back we find a dual camera, with a main 12 MP sensor and 10 MP ultrawide shooter, plus LiDAR sensor, as well as 4K video capture. Preorders start on April 30 and the slate comes in Space Gray and Silver. It’ll be shipped from the second half of May.
The prices and configs are below:
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (128GB, Wi-Fi) — $1,099
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (256GB, Wi-Fi) — $1,199
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (512GB, Wi-Fi) — $1,399
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1TB, Wi-Fi) — $1,799
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2TB, Wi-Fi) — $2,199
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (128GB, 5G) — $1,299
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (256GB, 5G) — $1,399
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (512GB, 5G) — $1,599
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1TB, 5G) — $1,999
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2TB, 5G) — $2,399