An iPad Air made the news this weekend, after bursting in flames in an Australian mobile phone store. Then the store was filled with smoke and had to be evacuated. Sparks were continuing to burst from the device even after the initial incident.


It all took place at a Vodafone Store in Canberra and while we’ve heard about iPhones blowing up and injuring people, this is the first known iPad incident. A Vodafone spokesperson claims that “a burst of flames” appeared from the charging port of the brand new iPad Retina sample model. No staff members or customers were injured during the incident.

The device was completely destroyed and the leftovers suggest it suffered from extreme heat. An Apple representative already popped up in Australia, collected the device and is now testing it. Apple hasn’t commented on this just yet and we look forward to their response. Told you the iPad Air was “da bomb!”.